While we have not made any material changes to the way we process data about our users, we have updated this policy to make it shorter and easier to read, and to comply with the EU General Data Protection Regulation and the California Consumer Privacy Act.
We collect certain data from you directly, like information you enter yourself, data about your participation in courses, and data from third-party platforms you connect with PLUGIN UP. We also collect some data automatically, like information about your device and what parts of our Services you interact with or spend time using.
1.1 Data You Provide to Us
We may collect different data from or about you depending on how you use the Services. Below are some examples to help you better understand the data we collect.
When you create an account and use the Services, including through a third-party platform, we collect any data you provide directly, including:
Profile Data You can also choose to provide profile information like a photo, headline, website link, social media profiles, or other data. Your Profile Data will be publicly viewable by others.
Shared Content Parts of the Services let you interact with other users or share content publicly, including by posting reviews on a course page, asking or answering questions, sending messages to students or instructors, or posting photos or other work you upload. Such shared content may be publicly viewable by others depending on where it is posted.
Course Data When you enroll in and take courses, we collect certain data including which courses, assignments and quizzes you’ve started and completed; your exchanges with instructors, teaching assistants, and other students; and essays, answers to questions, and other items submitted to satisfy course requirements.
Student Payment Data If you make purchases, we collect certain data about your purchase (such as your name and zip code) as necessary to process your order. You must provide certain payment and billing data directly to our payment processing partners, including your name, credit card information, billing address, and zip code. For security, PLUGIN UP does not collect or store sensitive cardholder data, such as full credit card numbers or card authentication data.
Those platforms and services make information available to us through their APIs. The information we receive depends on what information you (via your privacy settings) or the platform or service decide to give us.
We may obtain certain information through your social media or other online accounts if they are connected to your PLUGIN UPaccount. If you login to PLUGIN UP via Facebook or another third-party platform or service, we ask for your permission to access certain information about that other account. For example, depending on the platform or service we may collect your name, profile picture, account ID number, login email address, location, physical location of your access devices, gender, birthday, and list of friends or contacts.
If you access or use our Services through a third-party platform or service, or click on any third-party links, the collection, use, and sharing of your data will also be subject to the privacy policies and other agreements of that third party.
The data listed above is stored by us and associated with your account.
1.2 Data We Collect through Automated Means
When you access the Services (including browsing courses), we collect certain data by automated means, including:
System Data Technical data about your computer or device, like your IP address, device type, operating system type and version, unique device identifiers, browser, browser language, domain and other systems data, and platform types (“System Data”)
Usage Data Usage statistics about your interactions with the Services, including courses accessed, time spent on pages or the Service, pages visited, features used, your search queries, click data, date and time, and other data regarding your use of the Services (“Usage Data”).
Approximate Geographic Data An approximate geographic location, including information like country, city, and geographic coordinates, calculated based on your IP address.
The data listed above is collected through the use of server log files and tracking technologies, as detailed in the “Cookies and Data Collection Tools” section below. It is stored by us and associated with your account.
2. How We Get Data About You
We use tools like cookies, web beacons, analytics services, and advertising providers to gather the data listed above. Some of these tools offer you the ability to opt out of data collection.
2.1 Cookies and Data Collection Tools
- Preferences: cookies that remember data about your browser and preferred settings that affect the appearance and behavior of the Services (like your preferred language).
- Security: cookies used to enable you to log in and access the Services; protect against fraudulent logins; and help detect and prevent abuse or unauthorized use of your account.
- Functional: cookies that store functional settings (like the volume level you set for video playback).
- Session State: cookies that track your interactions with the Services to help us improve the Services and your browsing experience, remember your login details, and enable processing of your course purchases. These are strictly necessary for the Services to work properly, so if you disable them then certain functionalities will break or be unavailable.
Some of the third-party partners who provide certain features on our site may also use Local Storage Objects (also known as flash cookies or LSOs) to collect and store data.
>We use third-party browser and mobile analytics services like Google Analytics, Hotjar, and Intercom on the Services. These services use Data Collection Tools to help us analyze your use of the Services, including information like the third-party website you arrive from, how often you visit, events within the Services, usage and performance data, and where the application was downloaded from. We use this data to improve the Services, better understand how the Services perform on different devices, and provide information that may be of interest to you.
2.3 Online Advertising
We use third-party advertising services like Taboola, Facebook, Google’s ad services, and other ad networks and ad servers to deliver advertising about our Services on other websites and applications you use. The ads may be based on things we know about you, like your Usage Data and System Data (as detailed in Section 1), and things that these ad service providers know about you based on their tracking data. The ads can be based on your recent activity or activity over time and across other sites and services, and may be tailored to your interests.
Depending on the types of advertising services we use, they may place cookies or other tracking technologies on your computer, phone, or other device to collect data about your use of our Services, and may access those tracking technologies in order to serve these tailored advertisements to you. To help deliver tailored advertising, we may provide these service providers with a hashed, anonymized version of your email address (in a non-human-readable form) and content that you share publicly on the Services.
When using mobile applications you may also receive tailored in-app advertisements. Apple iOS, Android OS, and Microsoft Windows each provide their own instructions on how to control in-app tailored advertising. For other devices and operating systems, you should review your privacy settings or contact your platform operator.
3. What We Use Your Data For
We use your data to do things like provide our Services, communicate with you, troubleshoot issues, secure against fraud and abuse, improve and update our Services, analyze how people use our Services, serve personalized advertising, and as required by law or necessary for safety and integrity.
- Provide and administer the Services, including to display customized content and facilitate communication with other users
- Process your requests and orders for courses, products, specific services, information, or features
- Communicate with you about your account by
- Responding to your questions and concerns
- Sending you administrative messages and information, including messages from instructors and teaching assistants, notifications about changes to our Service, and updates to our agreements
- Sending you information and in-app messages about your progress in courses, rewards programs, new services, new features, promotions, newsletters, and other available courses (which you can opt-out of at any time)
- Sending push notifications to your wireless device to provide updates and other relevant messages (which you can manage from the “options” or “settings” page of the mobile app)
- Manage your account preferences
- Facilitate the Services’ technical functioning, including troubleshooting and resolving issues, securing the Services, and preventing fraud and abus PLUGIN UP
- Solicit feedback from users
- Market and administer surveys and promotions administered or sponsored by PLUGIN UP
- Learn more about you by linking your data with additional data through third-party data providers or analyzing the data with the help of analytics service providers
- Identify unique users across devices
- Tailor advertisements across devices
- Improve our Services and develop new products, services, and features;
- Analyze trends and traffic, track purchases, and track usage data
- Advertise the Services on third-party websites and applications
- As required or permitted by law or
- As we, in our sole discretion, otherwise determine to be necessary to ensure the safety or integrity of our users, employees, third parties, the public, or our Services.
4. Who We Share Your Data With
- With Your Instructors: We share data that we have about you (except your email address) with instructors or teaching assistants for courses you enroll in or request information about, so they can improve their courses for you and other students. This data may include things like your city, country, browser language, operating system, device settings, the site that brought you to PLUGIN UP, and your activities on PLUGIN UP. If we collect additional data about you (like age or gender), we may share that too. We will not share your email address with instructors or teaching assistants. We also enable our instructors to implement Google Analytics on their course pages to track sources of traffic to their courses and optimize their course pages.
With Other Students and Instructors: Depending on your settings, your shared content and profile data may be publicly viewable, including to other students and instructors. If you ask a question to an instructor or teaching assistant, your information (including your name) may also be publicly viewable by other users depending on your settings.
With Service Providers, Contractors, and Agents: We share your data with third-party companies who perform services on our behalf, like payment processing, data analysis, marketing and advertising services (including retargeted advertising), email and hosting services, and customer services and support. These service providers may access your personal data and are required to use it solely as we direct, to provide our requested service.
With Business Partners: We have agreements with other websites and platforms to distribute our Services and drive traffic to PLUGIN UP. For example, we work with Benesse in Japan. Depending on your location, we may share your data with these partners.
With Analytics and Data Enrichment Services: As part of our use of third-party analytics tools like Google Analytics and data enrichment services like Clearbit, we share certain contact information, Account Data, System Data, Usage Data (as detailed in Section 1), or de-identified data as needed. De-identified data means data where we’ve removed things like your name and email address and replaced it with a token ID. This allows these providers to provide analytics services or match your data with publicly-available database information (including contact and social information from other sources). We do this to communicate with you in a more effective and customized manner.
To Administer Promotions and Surveys: we may share your data as necessary to administer, market, or sponsor promotions and surveys you choose to participate in, as required by applicable law (like to provide a winners list or make required filings), or in accordance with the rules of the promotion or survey.
For Advertising: If we decide to offer advertising in the future, we may use and share certain System Data and Usage Data with third-party advertisers and networks to show general demographic and preference information among our users. We may also allow advertisers to collect System Data through Data Collection Tools (as detailed in Section 2.1), and to use this data to offer you targeted ad delivery to personalize your user experience (through behavioral advertising) and undertake web analytics. Advertisers may also share with us the data they collect about you. To learn more or opt out from participating ad networks’ behavioral advertising, see Section 6.1 (Your Choices About the Use of Your Data) below. Note that if you opt out, you’ll continue to be served generic ads.
- Requested as part of a judicial, governmental, or legal inquiry, order, or proceeding
- Reasonably necessary as part of a valid subpoena, warrant, or another legally-valid request
- Required to detect, prevent, or address fraud, abuse, misuse, potential violations of law (or rule or regulation), or security or technical issues
- Reasonably necessary in our discretion to protect against imminent harm to the rights, property, or safety of PLUGIN UP, our users, employees, members of the public, or our Services.
6. Your Rights
6.1 Your Choices About the Use of Your Data
6.2 Accessing, Updating, and Deleting Your Personal Data
- To update data you provide directly, log into your account and update your account at any time.
- To terminate your account:
- If you are a student, visit your profile settings page and follow the steps detailed here.
- If you are an instructor, follow the steps detailed here.
- If you have any issues terminating your account, email us at [email protected] or via our Support Center
6.3 Our Policy Concerning Children
7. Jurisdiction-Specific Rules
7.1 Users in India
8. Updates & Contact Info
- Cookies are small text files stored by your browser as you browse the internet. They can be used to collect, store, and share data about your activities across websites, including on PLUGIN UP. Cookies also allow us to remember things about your visits to PLUGIN UP, like your preferred language, and to make the site easier to use.
- We use both session cookies, which expire after a short time or when you close your browser, and persistent cookies, which remain stored in your browser for a set period of time. We use session cookies to identify you during a single browsing session, like when you log into PLUGIN UP. We use persistent cookies where we need to identify you over a longer period, like when you request that we keep you signed in.
- Authentication and security
- To log you into PLUGIN UP
- To protect your security
- To help detect and fight spam, abuse, and other activities that violate PLUGIN UP agreements
- For example, cookies help authenticate your access to PLUGIN UP and prevent unauthorized parties from accessing your accounts.
- To remember data about your browser and your preferences
- To remember your settings and other choices you’ve made
- For example, cookies help us remember your preferred language or the country you’re in, so we can provide content in your preferred language without asking each time you visit.
- To help us improve and understand how people use PLUGIN UP
- For example, cookies help us test different versions of PLUGIN UP to see which features or content users prefer, web beacons help us determine which email messages are opened, and cookies help us see how you interact with PLUGIN UP, like the links you click on.
- To customize PLUGIN UP with more relevant content
- For example, cookies help us show a personalized list of recommended courses on the homepage.
- To provide you with more relevant advertising
- To learn more about targeting and advertising cookies and how you can opt-out, visit www.allaboutcookies.org/manage-cookies/index.html, or if you’re located in the European Union, visit the Your Online Choices site.
What are my privacy options?
- Most browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can change your browser settings to decline cookies by consulting your browser’s support articles. If you decide to decline cookies, please note that you may not be able to sign in, customize, or use some interactive features in the Services.
Flash cookies operate differently than browser cookies, so your browser’s cookie-management tools may not remove them. To learn more about how to manage Flash cookies, see Adobe’s article on managing flash cookies and Website Storage Settings panel.
To get information and control cookies used for tailored advertising from participating companies, see the consumer opt-out pages for the Network Advertising Initiative and Digital Advertising Alliance, or if you’re located in the European Union, visit the Your Online Choices site. To opt out of Google Analytics’ display advertising or customize Google Display Network ads, visit the Google Ads Settings page.
Updates & Contact Info